Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

AlwaysOn VPN Connects, but Unable to Access Local Network Resources

AJJennings

Hi all,

I've been struggling with this issue for a couple weeks now.

I recently deployed an AlwaysOn VPNfor a local engineering firm to allow employees to work from home (especially with the pandemic). I followed several tutorials including Microsoft's own.

I am able to connect successfully to the VPN and ping local devices and servers by IP, FQDN, and Common Name. Th eproblem is that I cannot access the file shares on the primary server or RDC into any of them through any methods.

The network topology is something as follows. I've got a Ciena (modem?) for our fiber optic internet connection. That is connected to a NetVanta 5660 router (with the appropirate firewall ports opened). My Windows Server 2016 VPN/Routing/NAT server has one NIC connected to the NetVanta router with the Public IP configured and the other NIC connected to the private network with a private IP. This NIC is connected to the central unmanaged network switch where al other wired devices are connected. A wireless AP allows for staff with wireless devices to connect to the private network.

I am running a Windows Server 2019 machine configured as a DC, DHCP, DNS, CA, NPS, File, and Printing server. I do not have any Vms in the evironment currently as I'm learning this stuff as I go.

The client device I used in testing is a domain joined machine running Windows 10 Pro.

Here are some of the things I've tried in my conversations and troubleshooting with other sources.

- Network Discovery is enabled on both of the servers and the client device.

- Problem persisted with all firewalls disabled.

- Only running Windows Defender Antivirus currently.

- My Private DNS servers are working as I can resolve local device names.

- I CAN RDC into the VPN server successfully by the private IP and Common Name, but nothing on the private network.

I really need to get this working and I've just hit a bunch of dead ends. If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Everything you should need for Windows VPN is here Remote Access Always On VPN I can't speak about Windows VPN because we've always used a 3rd party solution, but if your able to connect but not access resources it's likely either firewall, routing or policy that is not setup correctly to allow a particular type of traffic.

That Microsoft link is the one I used for setup and I cannot find any information that helps me with this issue.

Did you look at the troubleshooting setting or at event logs on the server?

Back