Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Windows 11 Notification Center screws with my graphics card

aprilwine

Since about October 19, 2023, a lot of times when the Notification Center gets invoked, one or both of my external displays goes super saturated/contrasty. Here's a simulation of how it looks:

Pasted image 20231019124404.png

It looks almost exactly like two copies of the monitor image are being added together using a "color dodge" algorithm, which basically doubles pixel values and blows out anything over 50% brightness. This makes it impossible to see light gray lines and very difficult to read text, etc.

Color dodge algorithm from Photoshop.

This can happen both when I open the Notification Center manually (⊞+N), and when a notification pops up (like a Gmail desktop notification). It took me a long time to narrow down what's triggering it. Sometimes it also seems to happen without the notification center being activated.
  • This happens with two separate monitors of different brands, plugged into two different ports with two different cables, so it's not the monitors or the cables.
  • It can happen with one monitor or both. Usually when one glitches, the other also glitches within a short period of time.
  • Changing monitor settings, display resolution, or color profiles never fixes it.
  • Messing with the graphics cards settings never fixes it.
  • Sometimes unplugging/replugging the monitor in question resets the color, but sometimes not.
  • Sometimes, disabling and re-enabling the NVidia graphics card driver fixes it, but sometimes not.
  • Sometimes, restarting resets the color, but sometimes not.
For reference, this is a Lenovo Legion 7i, running Windows 11 Home v 22H2. All graphics drivers are up-to-date. The most recent Windows update was KB5031323 on 10/12/23 and there are no pending updates.
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59GHz
  • RAM: 32.0 GB
  • OS build: 22621.2428
  • Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22674.1000.0
  • Display adapters: Intel(R) UHD Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design

Back