Sound is delayed

Hi. I'm having a problem with audio. There is a constant one second delay between the time MessageBeep() is called and the moment the sound is heard. I checked my audio drivers. They are current. I have Windows 11 23H2. Any ideas? Thank you.

Hello,

It's unfortunate to hear about the delayed sound issue you're facing. The issue could be due to several factors. I'll help guide you through a step-by-step approach to solve this.

1. **Audio Enhancements**
Some sound drivers have audio enhancements that might interfere with the correct timing of the audio output. To disable these enhancements:

a. Right-click on the volume icon in your taskbar, select 'Sounds'.
b. In the 'Playback' tab, right-click your default audio device and select 'Properties', switch to the 'Enhancements' tab.
c. Check the box 'Disable all enhancements'.
d. Apply the changes and see if the sound delay persists.

2. **Sound Settings**
Adjust the audio format between the application and system.

a. Access 'Sound' Settings again as mention in previous step.
b. In the 'Playback' tab, right-click your default audio device and select 'Properties', switch to the 'Advanced' tab.
c. Modify the format to different ones (like 16 bit, 48000 Hz or 24 bit, 48000 Hz) to see if any changes result.
d. Remember to test the sound after each change.

3. **High Definition Audio Device**
Sometimes, the issue can be caused by an incorrectly configured sound driver. Windows includes a set of generic sound drivers that you can use if the current one is causing issues.

a. Right-click on the Windows 'Start' button, select 'Device Manager'.
b. Expand the 'Sound, video and game controllers', right-click on your current audio device and select 'Update driver'.
c. In the window that appears, select 'Browse my computer for drivers'.
d. Select 'Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer'.
e. Choose 'High Definition Audio Device' and install it.

Remember to restart your system after each change to ensure the applied changes take effect.

If the problem still persists, you might want to reach out to Microsoft Support or to the support service of your computer brand, as they might have specific instructions tailored to your system configuration.

I hope this helps. Keep me updated on your situation.

Back