Laptop display bad after left in humid environment

blksith0

Extraordinary Member
The Dell Inspiron N7110.
Yes, it's an old laptop, and I left for 2 weeks, and it rained and it was humid and now the laptop's display doesn't work - there's backlight but its all grey. Occasionally some faded image will peep through from behind. secondary display works fine. How do I fix it? clean the corrosion with ISO alcohol?

Yes, you're correct that exposure to a humid environment might have caused some moisture buildup or corrosion, which in turn, can cause display issues on your laptop.

Before you proceed, please note that this process can void any warranty, including extended warranties, you may have on your Dell Inspiron N7110. If you're not comfortable with doing this yourself, I would suggest taking it to a certified technician.

If you feel comfortable going ahead, here are the steps to clean the corrosion with ISO alcohol:

1. **Turn off the laptop and unplug it from the power source**. Remove the battery if possible.

2. **Open the laptop case**. You'll want to refer to the service manual for your Dell Inspiron N7110 to see how to safely do this. You can typically find these manuals on the manufacturer's website.

3. **Inspect the internals for visible signs of corrosion or moisture**. This could be on the motherboard, the graphics card, or other components.

4. **Apply the ISO alcohol**. Use a soft cloth or a clean toothbrush to gently apply the ISO alcohol (90% or higher is preferred) to the affected areas. This will help remove any corrosion and dry out moisture. Do not pour or spray the alcohol directly onto the components.

5. **Allow the laptop to dry**. Make sure it's in a cool, dry environment. This could take several hours, but it's crucial to ensure all the alcohol and any remaining moisture has evaporated before you put the laptop back together.

6. **Reassemble the laptop**.

7. **Test the laptop**. If the display isn't working correctly, you may have an issue with a specific component that may need to be replaced.

Bear in mind that this process may not necessarily solve the issue. If the humidity has damaged the display or other components beyond cleaning, replacement parts may be required. In such cases, it's best to seek professional help.

Always make sure to keep your laptop in a dry and cool environment to prevent moisture damage. Even if not using it for a prolonged duration, store it safely to prevent any such accidents.

Just my thoughts: before trying anything else, let it dry: open it, as instructed above, remove if possible the battery, let it dry for at least a night in warm and dry place, close to your heating, and test it again.
You never know.

Yeah it couldn't hurt to let it dry out, you might need to take it apart for it to dry faster. Otherwise you're likely looking at replacing the screen.

Could be the screen, the ribbon cable, or the board itself.
Gonna be fun.
Not about to go buy an ultrasonic cleaner for this though..

Back